Saturday, September 29, 2007

You ain't from around here are ya?

I have lived in 9 different states in my life. Most of my life I have lived in the south. I have lived in North Carolina, South Carolina, Colorado, Wyoming, Oklahoma, California, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Minnesota.

We will start with California. Californians don't have much of an accent. Actually their accent is pretty flat if none at all. The same goes for Colorado and Wyoming...in my opinion. This is a hard accent to copy.

Minnestoa obviously has the mid-west sound to it. Long o's and all. I really liked this accent and it is pretty easy way to speak no matter where you are from. You can't do it all the time or you sound silly if you aren't from there, but you pick up on ways to say certain things.

Now the southern accent is the easiest accent to copy and to pick up. Everyone can say Hi ya'll and sound southern. My sister in law who lived the majority of her life in California has picked up a southern accent living in Kentucky. My other friend, Wendi, who is from Florida (which by the way is NOT a southern state!!) had an accent from living in Kentucky for a few years. She eventually lost some of it after living in Minnesota. It is just an easy accent to pick up as well as make fun of.

The one thing that I hear every where I have lived is "you ain't from around here are ya?" Or, "O dear gyad (god), I betcha you aren't from here are you?"

Even though I have lived mostly in the south I still hear this. What is it with the way I talk? I heard the other day, "You aren't a local are you?" I promplty told them that yes I was and in fact I graduated high school here. I didn't mean to get defensive, but geesh. I don't even sound right to the southerners.

Lets see...on a lighter note, Ronnie and I took the kids to the pool today. Veronica hit her head on the bottome of the epool and went home a little early. While the kids were swimming Ronnie and I played Cribbage. Of course...as always...he won both games. Yada Yada Yada.

After that Ronnie and I went on another date. We went down to the end of Cherry Grove which is at the north end of North Myrtle Beach. It is where the water comes in to the channels. It was low tide and we went walking through the wade pools that form there. It was a perfect early fall day. We saw hermit crabs, blue crabs, minnows, birds and some dumb drunk people. Oh and a bassett hound that came to visit us. It was a perfect afternoon to walk along the beach. I am so glad that it was low tide.

Earlier this morning my mom and I painted my office at work. We had a good time making each other laugh while making fun of our painting skills. Thankfully it didn't take to long to do it and we were on our way within 2 hours. It really looks nice and fresh. I guess you could say that I have made myself at home and taken ownership. Poor people. They have to deal with me all the time. :)

Well I hope that everyone is having a great weekend. It is beautiful here. Perfect days that I hope last a little while and don't turn cold too soon.

Ebby Ray

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to that Minnesota is the one place that has pure speech. Land of ten thousand lakes and clean vowels...We don't have and accent, do we, eh?
BR

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

ME?! Pick up a Kentucky accent. WHAT?!

Sarah Carlson said...

I love that you and Ron go out on dates so often. :) Ron- impart some of your wisdom to John when you are here next week! I want us to go on dates as often as you two do after we have kids.
Oh-- and turn "cold?" Uh... you ARE in the South, right? Have you already forgotten the MN winters? ;)

Anonymous said...

The thing about the cold here is that it is so wet. Here it feels as cold at 30 as it does in MN at 0 degrees.

I will tell Ronnie to talk to John.

TAV said...

ebby, i think you have the greatest (charming, yet subtle) southern accent. you're right-- these californians got nothin'!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tara.

John Carlson said...

Sarah, if you think you've got it bad, be glad that you are not married to Don K. He never takes his wife out on dates. I know this because I go out to lunch with the two of them even though they could be on a date by themselves. And let me tell you another thing (as long as this is an open forum to complain about your spouse), I want food ready to eat in 15 minutes.

Anonymous said...

John Carlson I think that you are telling the wrong person to have your food ready in 15 minutes.

Don needs some lessons, too. Poor Angela!!

The Ray Family said...

Sorry guys- I didn't mean to get all you guys in trouble. I will tell Ebby not to write about our dates anymore. We'll call them something else.:)

RR