Today let’s think about whatever is true. Concentrate on being truthful all day and be in prayer that God stop our tongues before it says things that we KNOW are untruthful. I’m surprised at how many times a day I can “white lie” sometimes. I want to be conscious of all my thoughts, words and actions today and that they represent and glorify God. I also pray that God impress His truth upon us and guard our mind against itself really. It’s so easy to imply, infer, and create truth. I want only God’s truth in my head. So rather than assume I know what someone REALLY means, I want God’s almighty truth and wisdom to press upon me.
Philippians 4:8 (New International Version)
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
This is from Webster’s original 1828 dictionary before political correctness came into play:
1. Conformable to fact; being in accordance with the actual state of things; as a true relation or narration; a true history. A declaration is true, when it states the facts. In this sense, true is opposed to false.
2. Genuine; pure; real; not counterfeit, adulterated or false; as true balsam; the true bark; true love of country; a true Christian.
--The true light which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. John 1.
3. Faithful; steady in adhering to friends, to promises, to a prince or to the state; loyal; not false, fickle or perfidious; as a true friend; a true lover; a man true to his king, true to his country, true to his word; a husband true to his wife; a wife true to her husband; a servant true to his master; an officer true to his charge.
4. Free from falsehood; as a true witness.
5. Honest; not fraudulent; as good men and true.
If king Edward be as true and just--
6. Exact; right to precision; conformable to a rule or pattern; as a true copy; a true likeness of the original.
7. Straight; right; as a true line; the true course of a ship.
8. Not false or pretended; real; as, Christ was the true Messiah.
9. Rightful; as, George IV is the true king of England.