Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Here's My Beef

Aren't you all very lucky to have two posts in one day!


Today at the church where I work they had a Red Cross Blood Drive. I talked my boss into going with me to give blood. She said she wasn't going to go due to some bad dizziness she experienced the last couple of times she gave. Anyway, I went over to give blood and it took 1 hour and 15 minutes for them to decide that I couldn't give blood.


The first nurse tried to find a vein on the left arm, then the right arm,and then back to the left arm. No dice. She then called another nurse over to see if she could find one. She tried the left arm, then the right arm, and then back to the left arm. No dice. She then called her supervisor over to see if she could find one. She tried the left arm, then the right arm, and then back to the left arm. On the second try at the left arm she said that she thought she could feel one. She then asked me what I thought. What I thought?? How would I know? I told her to do what ever they wanted. Wrong answer!!


The first nurse marked my arm, swabbed my arm down and put the needle in. Oops...no blood. She called the second nurse over again to see if she could get it in the vein. After a couple of times of moving the needle around in my arm she then called over the third nurse again. The thrid nurse then tried to move it around in my arm to see if she could get it. After all of this she said I can't get it and I promptly asked them to take the needle out. After all of that I had a hard time getting my arm to stop bleeding.


I apologized for wasting all their time, got my cookie and went back to work.


NOW HERE IS MY BEEF: I have a wonderful bruise in the crease of my arm and IT HURTS! I wouldn't mind so much that it hurts if I could have given blood. Then it would have been worth it. All this pain and absolutely no one benefits. I am O+ for pete's sake...anyone could have used my blood.


The little lady asked in the commercial years ago, "Where's the beef"...well lady there it is.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, sister! I am an AB+ with no veins! They bruise your arms and then they have actually taken it out of the veins in my hand!! Lots of fun! I think we need to start a support group!
BR

Anonymous said...

I am all in favor of support groups. I don't even care what they are for anymore.

Anonymous said...

You guys should start a support group for people who go to support groups. You could call it "Support Group Support........Group" Let me know which night of the week you meet. I'll be sure to be busy.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I have tried to give blood about ten times. This includes one time the blood went back up in to my arm and being rejected for iron problems the other nine. The last time the lady told me I needed to find another way to contribute to society! LOL.

Anonymous said...

I think the next support group that Ebby and I will start is the friends and relatives of Ron Ray group. We will focus on issues such as...How to live with/be friends with a metrosexual male...How to tell your friend/loved one, that he has foul body odor (oh, you know what I'm talkin' about Ronnie....)...and living with, spending time with, a bully and how to cope with that. Sound good, Ebby?!
BR

TAV said...

bummer, man! at least you didn't have an intern trying to draw your blood. i, too, am banned from ever giving blood again.. something about antibodies and have to contribute to society in other (less painful) ways :)

The Ray Family said...

You know how to wound a guy Becky. That hurts deep :(

This will take a while for me to get over. **sniff** **sniff**

Anonymous said...

Was that a sniff, as in you were smelling something odiferous, or a sniff that your metrosexual male was coming out?!?
BR

The Ray Family said...

The only thing that stinks around here is how bad you are at trying to "burn" me. Is that all you got? I am so disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Oh you know that isnt all that I got--but I want to play nice for all of your other fans out there!!