Friday, October 17, 2008

My eye and the doctor

I have been asked a lot lately how my eye is doing and if I went to the doctor. My eye is doing good and yes I went to the doctor. This past Monday I had an appointment with a Neurologist. He thinks I had a TIA (is that right), but ordered some tests and sent me to the lab for blood work. I went right down to the lab where they removed 10 gallons of blood. It took a little convincing for the lab tech to listen to me as to where she should stick me, but I finally won. After she poked me in the arm and dug around a little she finally used the back of my hand. Why won’t they listen from the start?

My next test was Tuesday morning in Radiology. I had my first ultrasound on the carotid arteries. I also have a CT scheduled for the 22nd. Lots of fun, right!?

I have gotten back the results for the blood test and the ultrasound. My Lupus Anticoagulant test came back suspicious, therefore, I had to go back today to the lab to have another 10 gallons of blood taken and sent to Mayo for additional tests. My ultrasound showed elevated velocity in the left ECA consistent with stenosis with a peak systolic velocity 241 cm per second. Also, my ESR-Sed Rate was 31H with a reference range of 0-29. Therefore I am guessing that mine is high…but that is just a guess since I don’t know what ESR-Sed Rate even means.

To be honest I have no idea what any of these test results mean. The one thing that I could understand on my ultrasound results was that the blood was flowing in the normal direction. Do people have blood flowing in the wrong direction? The other thing I know is that the doctor is looking at Lupus.
So there you go my friends. Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers. I will let you know what they find after the CT and my most recent blood work.

4 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

TEN GALLONS?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

TEN GALLONS !!!!!

Missy Eagen said...

praying for you my friend-

ten gallons is a lot... are you sure it wasn't five?

Anonymous said...

more like 15!!!