Saturday, March 29, 2008

Community Cafe Up and Running (by RR)

Sitting at my desk after the first weekend shift of the official grand opening of community cafe. It went extremely well. It was very helpful to have the place up and running Monday through Friday of this week. A lot of the figurative "bugs" were worked out earlier in the week. So, the first weekend shift went very smooth. Some of the people I worked with at Caribou agreed to come over and help me with the launch. Megan K. and Alison R. came and it was just like old times: controlled chaos at times, fun the whole time and great coffee drinks. We even did an impromptu "coffee talk." That is where everyone gets a little sample cup of the brew of the day and sniffs, slurps, swishes, and sizes-up the coffee. We tasted the Brazil variety. It is one of my new favorites. More of my C'bou buddies will join me tomorrow.

Business was pretty robust for the first shift. A lot of folks were just curious, but many people sat and/or left with a high-quality, reasonably-priced coffee shop beverage.

Tomorrow I am expecting it to be a mad house, especially in between first and second service. I will update you on the madness.

Here is a picture of the new place:


Going Home

Now that the end of the grand-opening weekend is in sight. It is almost time to focus on the next exciting thing coming up in the very near future. I get to go home for a few days next week. I am beside myself with excitement. I cannot wait to see my wife and kids face to face. Being away from the most important people in my life has been very difficult at times. It has, however, caused me to appreciate and miss the little things that get overlooked when I am with them on a daily basis.

Here are some examples: I miss having talks with Veronica about our favorite types of music. I also miss being witness to her candor. I miss seeing her grow into a sweet thoughtful young lady. Also how she could kill a whole bag of chips in one sitting if she knew I wouldn't yell at her for it. Funny thing is, she got that from me. Sorry V. I miss "talking shop" with Hunter about drums and guitar. I miss hearing him practice upstairs and feeling proud of him and his talent. Also how caring and thoughtful he is toward his friends and most people in general. I miss Cole's sweet affection toward me. He is so genuine and has a definite soft spot for his mom and dad. I miss the look he gets on his face when he tries to tell a fib. Also the the look when he knows that I know it is a fib. He also has a tender heart and genuinely loves and cares about friends and family. I maiss all of that stuff and millions of other things.

I can't wait to spend some quality time with them over the next few days. It won't be long enough though. Next time I go back, It will be for at least a week. No more of this 2-3 day business

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daddy i miss you too.

Cole Ray said...

ilove you daddy so much see ya monday

Anonymous said...

wow, that is pretty sweet.... i guess im supposed to put something here so il love you dad!!!!

Anonymous said...

nice commentary... sensitive naked boy.
me

Anonymous said...

Hey me-

you should try it sometime.

RR

TAV said...

snazzy cafe! sorry i'm so behind the times!