Monday, November 5, 2007

New Movie

I have been e-mailed something similar to the following from several different friends. I thought that it is definately blog worthy. My question is....How can the children kill God if God doesn't exist Mr. atheist? Explain that one away!! Please don't let your children see this movie.

Ebby Ray

You may already know about this, but I just learned about a kids ' movie coming out in December starring Nicole Kidman. It's called The Golden Compass, and while it will be a watered down version of the book, it is based on a series of children's books about killing God. (It is the self-described atheist author's response to C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia trilogy.) From what I understand, the hope is to get a lot of kids to see the movie - which won't seem too bad - and then get the parents to buy the books for their kids for Christmas. I checked this out on the Snopes website ( http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp) ; it is accurate. This quote from the Snopes site sums it all up:"The series' author, Philip Pullman, is an avowed atheist who has averred that "I don't profess any religion; I don't think it's possible that there is a God; I have the greatest difficulty in understanding what is meant by the words 'spiritual' or 'spirituality.'" Critics of Pullman's books point to the strong anti-religion and anti-God themes they incorporate, and although literary works are subject to a variety of interpretations, Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview with The Sydney Morning Herald that "My books are about killing God." (Conservative British columnist Peter Hitchens labeled Pullman "The Most Dangerous Author in Britain" and described him as the writer "the atheists would have been praying for, if atheists prayed.")"

No comments: