Thursday, December 11, 2008

Where o' where has my Christmas spirit gone...where o' where could it be?

I remember when I was little Christmas was a big celebration. All of my mom’s side of the family would get together a couple of weeks before Christmas Day and celebrate together. My grandmother was one of five girls. The “sisters” and their families would all get together for a day of visiting, good food, and presents.

I remember so many traditions that my Great-Aunt Bog (yes, Bog) would do each year for us kids. There would be a humongous ginger bread house on the kid’s table. We knew not to nibble at it until dinner was over. That was so hard.

Another thing she would do is get each of us kids a silver ornament with our name and the year inscribed on them. We would have to look through the Christmas tree to find it. She would also have an envelope with money in it on the tree that we had to find with our names on it.

The anticipation was horrible. We would sit there and sit there waiting until we could dig into the ginger bread house. Then we would have to sit again and wait until all the presents were passed out and given permission to find our envelope and ornament.

My Uncle Godfather (Bog’s husband who was actually my Great Uncle and godfather) would always take me into the back room and give me the hug and kiss he had been saving for me since the last time he had seen me. This was a special little thing between us that I am sure that he had with all the kids, but made me fell like it was just for me. And NO this is not in any way as perverted as it sounds. My Uncle Godfather was the bomb.

After my grandmother passed away when I was 9 we didn’t go to the Christmas celebrations anymore. We had moved to Colorado with my new stepfamily. After that I don’t really remember celebrating Christmas too much. I am sure that we did, but it just wasn’t the same.

This past year Christmas was wonderful. We spent the night at my mom and Walt’s house and then woke up Christmas morning all together. Love was in the air and an excitement about celebrating Christmas.

This year….blah. Blah, blah, blah. There isn’t a single decoration out of the box much less set out. We still need to get a tree. I still need to go shopping for the kids and Ronnie. I have gotten everything for the rest of the family since I have to mail it on Saturday, but not for those in my house.

Where is my Christmas spirit? Do you think I could find it at the mall? Maybe next time I work at Target I can pick some up. If you find any lying around could you please drop it off to me? I need some. Actually my family needs me to get some. I can always meet you somewhere to pick it up. Thanks in advance.

11 comments:

Missy Eagen said...

come to the Christmas program monday.... I re-find mine there everytime I think I've lost it! :)

The McCutcheons said...

Take a day off of work and make some hot chocolate. Your a busy woman working two jobs with kids to bus around everywhere. It's also hard when extended family is gone. We won't see any family at Christmas this year.

I LOVE everything about this time of the year but I get tooooo focused on the smells, sights, and sounds. I had to open my Bible and reflect on my own "Christmas" spirit. Thanks for helping me to take a "look" at myself in roundabout way.

Anonymous said...

My friend,
As I read your blog (but never comment) I see you and your family living "The Wonderful Life"! You truly are so blessed and definitely tucked in your Father's arms-and yet you are so busy with "keeping up" every day that it seems you have somehow gotten overwhelmed with the STUFF that we call life.
I will pray for you right now that the Lord fill you with the most wonderful peace and joy this season-filled with all those wonderful memories and over-flowing with new ones!
Have that hot chocolate, put on your favorite Christmas music and remember how many people love you!
PS:
You are one of the most warm-hearted, compassionate people the Lord put in our midst to bring us joy! AND, probably the funniest... So, go make some snow balls or something and nail somebody:)
love ya!
Mary Kit...

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Grandma K!!

Elizabeth said...

Imagine a big cyberspace Merry Christmas hug from me!! And find some bells to wear...it's hard to feel "bah humbug" when you jingle. :-)

Anonymous said...

Never forget the memories you have of Christmas as a child in a very large extended family. But most importantly, remember you now have a family of your own to make memories with. It can be sad spending the holidays without parents close by, but you, Ron and the kids are a very loving family and have made a very warm, welcoming and loving place in Rochester. Never forget how fortunate you are to be so loved by so many people.

Anonymous said...

I can't forget that. I am fortunate enough to be able to see it everyday.

I just can't seem to get into the spirit of decorating this year. Getting "ready" for Christmas. I can't seem to find the time or the energy or the want to get it all together.

By the way....who are you?

Anonymous said...

Your mother

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Just checked back in-why not ask Ronnie and the kids to decorate this year? It would probably be funny enough (especially if you were wearing-and shaking- jingle bells and drinking hot choc while they were arguing over who was putting on the lights):) Or just go somewhere and come home to a decorated house. Tell Veronica to get her friends over-that should liven things up! Wish I was there-better yet, wish you were here to help me finish getting ready for kids coming home-and to finish getting stuff together to send to kids that aren't coming home...hope next time I check in here, you're feeling more in the holiday mood:)
love,grandma k

TAV said...

Watch "It's a Wonderful Life"! One of the best movies ever made!

Kristi said...

Hmm. Maybe this is a gift you're getting right now--lack of distraction, perhaps? I can get so much into the "Christmas spirit" that I stop having fun. Getting into the "Christmas spirit" can be exhausting. How about watching "Charlie Brown Christmas"? It brings back to me the joy of being a little kid and awaiting Christmas with crazy anticipation (simply because I watched it when I was little). Plus it reminds me of how silly we can be about Christmas, too, and the answer that Linus gives to Charlie Brown about what Christmas is all about--it's all about Jesus--or it should be anyway.