Monday, December 8, 2008

Snow Days...Part Two (by RR)

Growing up in Southern California, my exposure to snow was limited. I would "go to" the snow up in Big Bear once or twice a year, if at all. My Uncle John taught me how to ski at Snow Summit Ski Area and a couple of years I would go with friends, family, or church groups to a rental cabin and enjoy the cold temeratures and pure white landscape. But still, snow exposure: limited.

Over the past five years of living in Minnesota, we have had plenty of exposure to snow. And I have to say...I LOVE IT!!! I love it when it falls from the sky. I love it when it blankets the ground. I love bundling up to go out in it. I love how quiet it is when you go out at night or early in the morning. I love how when the sun is out and the wind blows, it makes it look like the air is sparkling. I love sitting in front of the living room window with a hot cup of coffee and watching it collect on the trees. I love how it ushers in the holidays and the holiday spirit. I even like driving in it. Snow is amazing.

I will admit that snow does have it's downsides; shovelling it is probably the main one. And by mid-February it has out stayed it's welcome. But overall it is awesome.

Tell me what you like about the snow.

7 comments:

Jen Elder said...

I love the peacefulness of snow! It's especially nice when you're dressed for the cold and you can really just enjoy it without getting too cold. As a kid I loved making tunnels and forts. I completely agree with you about once February rolls around...enough already! At least this year it came at the perfect time, not too early not too late...just in time for the Christmas season.

The McCutcheons said...

Mark and I have only ever lived in WI or MN. We love the changing seasons. Each one has it's own beauty to enjoy and we love living in a place that displays all of them. We couldn't imagine a Christmas that didn't have the fluffy, white stuff all over.

***Although, we HATE putting kids (now 100 times their normal size) into carseats during the winter.***

Elizabeth said...

I love looking straight up into the sky when it's really snowing and watching the flakes come down. I also love when they're big clumpy flakes that you can catch on your tongue. Being inside by a nice warm fire when there's a raging snowstorm outside is one of my favorite things -- I feel so cozy and safe and blessed.

Anonymous said...

What I love about snow is that it is in MN and not here at the beach. 65 degrees, sunshine, flip-flops, walking on the beach and not having to shovel the driveway to get the car out.....

TAV said...

I'm with Bethmom. As someone who escaped the snow (or nearly died the 4 years I spent in it) and who is now living where it DOESN'T, I have to say that I do not share your snow-loving feelings. I refuse to budge from California :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Ebby, I have been trying to email you and I think I have the wrong email?! Can you email me at wkitsteiner@hotmail.com?

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Oh and I like snow. Not cold. Duh! ;)