Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Re-Cycle, Re-Use, Re-Purpose

I love this concept. Over the past few weeks I have gotten so many things for FREE! Things that I have wanted, but just couldn't bring myself to pay money for. I am cheap these days. I have taken these items and re-used them by re-purposing them. None of them are actually being used as they were originally purposed to. I love it!

I am trying to make weekly trips to Goodwill, Salvation Army, and to yard sales to see what I can find that would fit in our house. It is really stretching my (non-existing) creative skills. It is amazing what a can of paint can do for an item. I am having so much fun!!

While I was out and about two weekends ago I was handed a flier about "the 3/50 project". Basically, it is a project trying to encourage people to shop at locally owned businesses. It says that if just half the employed U.S. population spent $50 each month in independently owned businesses, their purchases wuold generate more than $42.6 billion in revenue.

For evey $100 spent in independently owned stores, an average of $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures. If you spend that in a national chain, only $43 stays in the community. Spend it online and nothing comes home!

After seeing this flier I tried to think of places that I could shop. My first stop was at the locally owned Ace Hardware store. I love going in there due to the personal service I have always received. I will admit that it is easier to go to one of the big three...Lowes, Home Dept or Menards, but I really like going in Ace Hardware when I can.

I was also thinking that we could go to locally owned resturants sometimes if/when we go out to eat. I don't think that I can give up my chain stores completely. They are business, too, and they employ people in the community. Just a thought as to how we can support some of those small businesses.

Well I am off of here...I need to find some more license plates and two wooden shutters. This re-purposing is so much fun!!!!!

7 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

Ebby, I thought for sure that you were going to post photos at the bottom of this post. I was sad! Show me your beautiful work.

Elizabeth said...

I agree! Pictures, Woman!! :-)

the j-crew said...

Ok, I'm with you on the locally owned restaurants but I like me some Depot!
I was so cool before recycling was cool because virtually everything I owned was "recycled" for the longest time!

Ebby Ray said...

I think that I can count on one hand the things that we have bought in our home...not counting clothes. The majority of our things are hand me downs or yard sales oh and thrift stores. I love it.

Ebby Ray said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenna said...

Ebby,
Do you want my Delaware license plate? If so, it is yours. It is in mint condition, but you could rough it up if that's what you need!
Jenna D

Ebby Ray said...

Jenna...I will take it!! Thank you!