Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Going grocery shopping?!

Now that I have worked at Target for 6 months I think I am qualified to write a blog about grocery shopping. Being a cashier for 6 months has made me somewhat a professional in the area. I am going to give some tips on how to unload your groceries onto the belt.

Let's start with those baskets that are offered for people to carry instead of pushing a cart. When you bring one of those baskets into the lane don't drop it on the belt. This can cause the cashier to become startled. Second, unload the basket. This makes for a much easier and quicker check out.

Now lets move on to cart shopping. When unloading your cart, please don't throw your items onto the belt. Again, it makes the cashier feel as if you are throwing it at them.

I am going to write in what order to place your items on the belt:

1) sodas, milk, juice, water, cat liter, big dog food bags...in other words things that are big and heavy
2) cleaning supplies and other household items...detergent, cleaners, soaps...again those heavy and non food items
3) canned items
4) boxed items
5) frozen food and refrigerated items
6) fruit and veggies
7) eggs
8) bread
9) clothing
10) toilet paper and paper towels

The main thing is to keep like items together. Cans with cans...cold stuff with cold stuff...boxed food with boxed food...non-food items with non-food items. Your food is more likely to get home without getting squished if you keep things that are alike together.

Take all the clothing off of the hangers while you are waiting in line. This saves SO MUCH TIME!!

One last hint...have all of your coupons, gift cards and the way you are going to pay out and ready before the cashier finishes ringing you up. Have your checkbook out and fill in everything but the amount before the cashier is finished.

Those are my tips for grocery shopping. Again, don't throw stuff onto the belt...it startles the cashier. One day last week I was hit with some Cool-Aid packets flying through the air.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yeah! I'm so glad to hear that I do things RIGHT!!:-) I don't necessarily unload them in that order, but I do put all my like items together on the belt. I think it's because I was a cashier at Cub Foods for several years - you're right, it makes it SOOO much easier for the cashier!

Sorry to hear about the flying Kool-aid packets, Dude! :-)

Kristi said...

Yes, I put my like items together, too (but not necessarily in that order). Hmmm . . . those people who pull out their checkbooks after they've been told their total . . . I'm so glad that most people use credit cards these days.

TAV said...

This was really helpful!!!
:)
I wonder if there's anyway I can visit with Ronnie/Veronica when they're out here visitng English?

Jen Elder said...

This is good to know, thanks for sharing. I have to admit I definitely don't follow all those rules. I do take my clothes off the hanger :)

I always thought this subject would make an interesting book. Like how to help service people. Like garage men, maybe there's a way to put out your trash that would make it easier for him. Or servers, having been a server in the past, it's helpful to stack your plates so they can just grab them and clear your table more easily.

the j-crew said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad I do this right! I'm always tempted to step behind the counter though when the cashier (usually the teenagers) move stuff from the order I placed it. That's my control issues though.

PS - Couldn't agree more Kristi with the absent minded checkbook holders. And people who wait to look at the menu until they get to the cashier at a fast food restaurant. Come on!

The McCutcheons said...

I HATE grocery stores! I HATE shopping for food! Maybe, I can pay you to do my shopping??

Schuster Fam said...

So next time I go to Target I will FILL my cart and make sure to get to your isle...then I will request you come around and unload it-and make sure to take off all the hangers-I hate doing that....that would make your day wouldn't it? Come on-I know you're laughing!!!