Friday, September 5, 2008

Hurricane Season

What a crazy hurricane season this is turning out to be. My mom and Walt are getting ready for Hanna, which is still a tropical storm. Ike is right behind it and looking more like it is going to hit the east coast anywhere from south Florida on up. Ike could also go to the south of Florida and up into the gulf…who ever knows what these hurricanes are going to do. Hannah went a little crazy there for a while, but straightened out and is heading inland now.

I talked with my mom this morning and people are trying to get ready for Hannah and thinking about what they are going to do for Ike. The waiting game is the hardest part. No one can truly predict where these storms are going to land. You just have to get ready and be prepared “just in case” it lands near you.

Back when Hugo hit South Carolina in 1989 my family stayed at home. We didn’t leave the beach. Hugo did a lot of damage along the coast of SC, but it also did quite a bit of damage inland. There were many tornados from the storm and some fires caused by lightening and the tornadoes. It was very interesting to ride out a big hurricane like Hugo.

My mom and Walt are still at the beach and will ride out Hannah. It is just a tropical storm right now and will just do a little wind damage. It might cause some erosion, but the mess shouldn’t be too bad. I did make sure that they would leave the beach if Ike comes towards them. It makes me quite nervous. Those two probably would try to stick it out, but hopefully they will think twice about the danger and leave. Maybe they could even come up here and visit for a few days until the storm is gone. That is my vote!!

My friend Wendi is currently living in the panhandle of Florida, but right now she is visiting family in south Florida. I am sure that all of these hurricanes make that whole area nervous. This is just a tough time of year for the coastal states.

I hope that these storms don’t come anywhere close to land, but if they do I hope that my MOM will leave the beach and head WAY inland….like to Minnesota.

3 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Wendi doesn't know WHERE the heck to go. Stay in south Florida -- go home with JB. UGH!

Ike is no longer a danger to your mom. It's going to go gulf if it goes anywhere ...

Anonymous said...

I promise, if Ike even thinks about coming this way, we will go somewhere...if Walt has his way, to the beach!! Hannah isn't much of a storm but has a bunch of rain. My new sod is soooo happy. Ike will probably come here just for SOS which starts next week. Ebby can explain SOS.

Anonymous said...

Hannah is boring =( I like a show, this is nothing...Ike, now that will be a show, hehehehehe...but I don't know if we will be staying down here for that. And luckily Ike will be here, if it comes here, just in time for shagger week, hehehehehehe