Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Calling all Doctors!

I know that my doctor friends can’t give me a diagnosis over the Internet, but I am hoping you can tell me whether or not I should see my doctor about this. I can’t afford to just run to the doctor every time I “think” something is wrong.

The other day I was lying in bed watching TV. As I was lying there it was as if someone pulled a dark grey window shade over my left eye. You know that kind that you pull down at the bottom and when you want them to go back up you gust pull down and then let go and they roll back up. It was like that. I closed my left eye and could see out of my right eye perfectly. I closed my right eye and couldn’t see a thing. It was completely dark. I was blind in the left eye. This lasted for about 10 minutes and then the shade was lifted and I could see again.

So can anyone answer my question? Should I go to the doctor or was another part of my body just being freaky like other parts of my body (and brain)? If you think you know what caused this feel free to let me know. Did I have a mini-stroke? Did I strain my eye some how? Am I just falling apart? Or is it all of the above?

Thanks in advance to those who feel like weighing in.

8 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I'll ask JB to weigh in tonight but I think this may be related to migraines. And I know sometimes you can get the vision loss without getting the headache.

That's my completely non-physician related opinion. Since you have about 100 doctors who are friends though (thanks to me!) I'll let them weigh in.

Anonymous said...

Ebby,

What you had is called "amaurosis fugax". I would see your doctor as there are a variety of causes, some benign but some more worrisome. While it's possible that this was due to something harmless (migraine, temporary vasospasm), this can be associated with increased risk for strokes, multiple sclerosis, etc. so I think it warrants seeing someone.

Let us know how things go! We'll be praying for everything to be good and normal. :)

Anonymous said...

Well I was laughing about this before. Now that I have read Lesley's comment I am not laughing anymore. I will make an apoointment as soon as I can. Or I will just go over to Lesley's house and let her treat me.

Anonymous said...

it was God sparing you from looking at your husband. me

Anonymous said...

Sorry Ronnie...I actually laughed out loud at that one. Good job SR

The McCutcheons said...

You were blind in one eye for 10 minutes.....and you are asking IF YOU SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR????? AAAAAHHHHHH, Ebby, I would have been to the ER ASAP! (Who has money these days? We spend all ours on gas.) Although, I'm not sure if I could have driven with only one eye???? Hey, if your leg ever falls off.....go see a doctor! :)

This is very professional advice from a youth pastor's wife!

Love you, Ebby! I'll pray for your eye.

TAV said...

yes, i'm with lesley! go to see someone!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...maybe the ol' hubby knows a thing or two after all. I told her two days ago to make an appointment. She said--and I quote--"yeah yeah whatever." Thanks for the back up guys!

Nice zinger Scott. I will be sure to return the love.