Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Box!

Since being married to Ron Ray I have moved from South Carolina to California, California to Tennessee, Tennessee to Kentucky, Kentucky to Minnesota, Minnesota to South Carolina, and now from South Carolina back to Minnesota. All of these moves have taken place in 17 years. Those big moves don't include the little moves we made within the same area we lived...from house to house.

Thankfully, we have a moving company that is moving us this time. I am packing everything, but they will be loading it up into a truck and driving it to Minnesota for us. The only other time I have had the pleasure of not having to load a truck was our first move from South Carolina to California. The Army moved us that time.

During all of our moves there has been this one box that has moved with us. The box has changed one time due to the fact that the original box fell apart and I had to replace it with a plastic container. The contents have always stayed the same. No additional items in the box and none taken away.

I have moved this box around our different houses trying to find somewhere to put it. I can't get rid of it. Ronnie would be so mad at me if I did. There have been a couple of times that I have wanted to get rid of it and tell Ronnie that it got lost in one of the moves somewhere. I have wondered if he would even realize that the box was MIA if I did get rid of it.

The kicker is that he doesn't ever look in the box. I don't even know if he can tell you all the contents of the box. I could tell you because I look through it each time we move wondering if we can get rid of some or all of it.

Each time we have moved this box has been a sore spot with me. I think that we have gone round and round about it each time we move. Ronnie is fortunate that he isn't here this time or we would once again discuss this box. He is also fortunate that there are movers involved or I would probably "accidently" place it with loving care and gentleness into the garbage and ask forgiveness later when I had to lie and say that it was "lost" somewhere along the line.

I am not sentimental about "things". I have great memories from my life, different events that have taken place, and the people that have been a part of my life from different times. I don't keep "things" that much. I have a few pictures from my childhood, a couple of quilts from my grandma, and three plates from my other grandma. I also have some jewlery from my mom. The sad thing is that I would sell the quilts in a heart beat if someone wanted to buy them. I have very fond memories of my grandmother sewing, but not the quilts. She made beautiful Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. I wouldn't get rid of the plates or my moms jewlery though.

Oh this box drives me crazy, but I love my husband and will let the movers pick it up, load it onto the truck, and then unload it and once again place it in our garage to never be opened and looked through.

A little side note. I have lived in the following states:
  • North Carolina (born there)
  • South Carolina
  • Colorado
  • Wyoming
  • Oklahoma
  • California
  • Tennessee
  • Kentucky
  • Minnesota

That is a lot of moving people!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you sweetie. I love that box. And I do know what is in it.

Unknown said...

wait? whats in the box???

Anonymous said...

Don't mess with the box!