Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Such a Bad Wife

Last night our family went to Ronnie's softball team's annual picnic. They have this each year on night that they have a "bye". It is really fun to sit with the families and just chat for a little while. Our whole family was actually together for the evening. :)

After we all came home Ronnie had the idea that he and I should go play some tennis across the street from our house. Normally I tell him no to going and playing. I use to be an ok player, but now I can barely hit the ball and I get very frustrated. Anyway, I put my tennies on right away and we headed over to the courts.

We hit around for a while and I noticed that Ronnie kept quickly retreating from the net whenever the ball was short. He would come up and hit the ball that then quickly go back to the baseline. I finally asked him why he was doing that and he admitted that he was nervous at the net. I said, "Don't be nervous...what do you think I am going to do? Hit you?" He said, "Yes, I have heard some stories." I told him that I wouldn't hit him. I mean I can't hit like that anymore. I can barely get the ball over the net.

Ronnie reluctantly stayed at the net. We hit one or two and then it happened. I wasn't even thinking about it. I had no control over my body. I think this was an out of body experience. I wound up and hit the ball...right at Ronnie! It hit him in the leg. Oh my gosh I actually did hit him!

Now please realize that I can't hit it with the power that I could when I was younger. I know that it didn't hurt him, BUT it did leave a nice, perfectly round, red mark on his leg.

Just to give you a little back ground about my tennis playing. When I played tennis daily I got into a really bad habit. I wouldn't try to hit a passing shot and win the point. I would hit it at the person and make them flinch. Kind of like "chicken" on the tennis court. Yes, I have hit a couple of people. One of my coaches wouldn't hit overheads with me after a while because I hit him a couple of times, too, while he was at the base line. Same thing...I didn't hit it away from the person I would hit it right at them.

Now I freely admit that this was not a nice thing and a very bad habit. Even though this was not a nice thing to do to my husband I did have to call my mom and tell her what I did. Yes, we got a good chuckle out of it.

4 comments:

Hanne said...

Oh, my gosh Ebby! I did the same kind of thing when I played handball. My first penalty shot would always be aimed at the face of the goalie to make them nervous the next time I came up! I feel like such a bad person for doing it, but it was all in the name of winning the game:)

Anonymous said...

Ebby was always the first person picked to play with because nobody wanted to play against her. She was VISCOUS..... She is being modest. She was nationally ranked in the 12 year old division. Was either on the tennis court practicing or at the stable riding. The girl was good at both.

Anonymous said...

Ebby was always the first person picked to play with because nobody wanted to play against her. She was VISCOUS..... She is being modest. She was nationally ranked in the 12 year old division. Was either on the tennis court practicing or at the stable riding. The girl was good at both.

Ron Ray said...

I knew she couldn't resist, and that it would happen, but I played along. The mark looked awesome and lasted a couple of hours. I am just thankful it wasn't a little higher. that would have ended the fun.

RR