Thursday, January 15, 2009

Teen MOPS

I refuse to talk about the weather today. Therefore, I am going to talk about a group that I am a part of. No not the GNO. It is Teen MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). I have 4 regular girls in my group. They either already have a child or are expecting a child. There are many more girls that come to the meetings, but since this is my first year with the group I am really glad that I only have 4 regulars.

I am not sure if many people know that I was a single mom at 20. I turned 21 about a month after my daughter, English, was born. I am so thankful that my mom and Walt were around to help me. They were the ones that went to the hospital with me when I went into labor. They were the ones that went to the hospital with me when English would have asthma attacks. They were the ones that let us live with them for a while. They were also the ones that would tell me that I could do it. I truly have no idea what would have become of us if mom and Walt hadn’t been in the picture.

I didn’t get married…English doesn’t have a father on her birth certificate…it was just English, Bethmom, Waltwee, and I. Thankfully, I met and married Ronnie in 1991 and we have added 3 additional members to our family (Veronica, Hunter, and Cole).

Now that you know my background you may understand a little more why I became part of Teen MOPS. Even though I was 20 when I became a single mom I was still a single mom. I lived the life that these girls are living. Some of them are younger than I was when I became a mom, but I can still relate to what they are going through as a parent. Especially when there isn’t a father in the picture.

This group at CCC (Christ Community Church) really lends support to these girls. They have guest speakers that come in each meeting. One was Child Care Resource Referral (I think I got that right), one was a lady from Mayo that came in and talked about diet and exercise. A Dentist is coming in later in the year to talk about caring for their teeth as well as the teeth of their children. It really is an informative group as well as lending support to the girls.

One thing I really like about this group is that there is no judgment passed onto the girls. Each meeting consists of dinner for the moms and their children, a craft, speaker, and group time. We don’t push religion, but we do emphasize support for them.

At some of the meeting there is a MOP Shop. The girls accumulate points by coming, bringing a friend, and other exercises. Then they get to shop with their points. The shop has diapers, clothes for the moms and the children, personal hygiene products, household items, books, toys, gift certificates to gas, dinner, movies, etc. MOP Shop nights are fun.

Teen MOPS is totally funded by donations and fundraisers. The next fundraiser is a dinner and silent auction. I would like for you to think and pray about supporting Teen MOPS. Here are some ideas on ways to donate to the silent auction:

Paintings
Sewers basket
Take photographs
Scrap booking items
Want to put a basket of goodies together
A bundle of note cards
Jewelry
Babysitting coupons
Baking items
Movie basket
Knitted items (remember it is –40 today)
Quilts
A basket with mugs, cocoa, and marshmallows
Baby themed basket
Tickets to a sporting event
Dinner gift certificates
Tickets to a play
Coffee lovers basket
A basket of new toys
Basket for a gardener
Chocolate lovers basket
Christmas basket
Car care kit
Winter survival kit
Tool kit

Would you please think and pray about putting together something that could be used in the silent auction. A framed photograph or a certificate for a photography session, a basket of lotions from the local store or your home business, a panting, scrapbook supplies, gift certificates for oil changes, car washes, a basket with certificates for a night on the town, a certificate for a night stay at a local hotel...anything that you think someone would bid on….the list could go on and on.

There is another way to help out Teen MOPS. Just donate directly to the group.

If you would like to help support Teen MOPS, please leave me a comment.

Thank you in advance!!

8 comments:

Hanne said...

When is the silent auction? I have some tings I'd like to put together to donate.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure of the exact date, but you could give it to me and I will hole on to it until time.

Thanks Hanne!!

Didn't know you read our blog! :)

Anonymous said...

I am not sure of the exact date, but you could give it to me and I will hold on to it until time.

Thanks Hanne!!

Didn't know you read our blog! :)

The McCutcheons said...

I cannot imagine the stress on a single parent (Daddy or Mommy). Mark and I go crazy and we have each other to lean on when times get tough.

I realize that their situation isn't ideal but I admire their guts to keep on going.

Anonymous said...

Now some of you will understand my pride in my daughter. When Ebby told me she was volunteering with MOPS I knew that this was a perfect fit for her. Nobody had more strength or determination than she did during a time when being a single mom was not as accepted. Walt and I were privileged to be a part of this period in Ebby's life. We also admire Ronnie for not only loving our daughter, but accepting English as his own. We thank them for giving us three more beautiful grandchildren.

the j-crew said...

Ok, your mom totally made me tear up!
Bethmom, I feel like I know you already b/c we love Ebby, Ron and the whole gang.

Unknown said...

Ebby...Teen MOPS thanks you for your dedication to this group as well and your understanding and compassion for these teens!

The silent auction and spaghetti dinner is on Friday, April 17th. We will be having food from the Olive Garden and will be selling tickets starting in March.

Hanne said...

Ebby,
I love reading your blog! And your mom totally made me tear up too, I am going to blame it on new mom hormones:)

I will put my things together and get them to you soon.

Thanks for what you guys do! Having been a teen mom myself this is one of the ministries that really grabs at me. Unfortunately I work until 6 each Tuesday:( Let me know if I can help in any other way though, as I would love to!