Thursday, January 8, 2009

The "B" Word

The “B” word isn’t used around our house very often. As a matter of fact I think it has only been used 3 times since English started middle school.

Now stop thinking the worst of our family. I don’t mean a cuss word. I mean the “boyfriend” word. Between our two girls there have only been three boyfriends in our house. Two for Veronica and one for English back in middle school. There have been crushes and likes, but neither one have thrown around the boyfriend word. Even since English has gone into the Air Force she hasn’t used that word.

The other day I was talking to English as she was driving from Northern California to Southern California. She was on her way to visit Ronnie’s family for New Years. I knew that she was taking Tim along with her since his family also lives in So. Cal.

As we were talking she was telling me about a conversation she had with her Grandma Jan. She said that she told Grandma that her boyfriend, Tim, was with her. I didn’t know what to say so I just kept listening to what she had to say. In the background I could hear Tim talking on his phone to his family. During his conversation I hear him say, “My girlfriend and I…..”

What? WHAT? What did I just hear both of them say? Did I just hear her use the “B” word? Did I just hear him follow that up with the “G” word? WHAT?

After their visit with family I was assured that Tim was a great young man and that everyone liked him. English also reported that she really liked Tim’s family. We haven’t been able to meet Tim yet. Ronnie and Veronica are going out in April to see English, but unfortunately Tim is getting sent to Afghanistan in about two weeks (yes he is in the Air Force, too) so Ronnie won't get to meet him then either.

Speaking of deployment…English will be leaving at the beginning of June for Afghanistan (unless that date gets moved up). I am ok with her going. This is what the military is all about. What I am not ok with is that I may not be able to see her before she leaves. Ronnie and Veronica are using a buy one get one free coupon we have for airfare, and they will be going over spring break. I unfortunately won’t have any time to be able to go out there, and she isn’t sure if she will get to come here. I haven’t seen her since August. That would be over a year that I would not have seen my daughter if I don't see her before she leaves. That makes me sad, but I am so proud of her. Thankfully Ronnie will get to see her.

Anyway….I got a little off track. Below is a picture of English and the “B” word, Tim, over the holidays.

4 comments:

The McCutcheons said...

Yikes, you have a daughter who COULD get married soon. (not that she will) She's old enough is what I MEANT to say. Next....is grandkids! :) WOW! I cannot wait for that stage in life! I am currently in the "watching-my-kids-dress-up-in-my-bras-and-apply-lipstick-to-their-eyebrows" stage. :(

Anonymous said...

um, i kind of can't believe you wrote an entire blog on the fact that i have a boyfriend. how sadly lame are our lives that this becomes a big deal?! just kidding...love you miss you, trying to get home before i leave. talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

That isn't lame. Just shows that the two of you haven't ever been boy crazy.

the j-crew said...

It's in the mom contract English. Mom's MUST blog about events in our lives (i.e. our kids!). We would have no blog if it wasn't for our kids!
Congrats on the "b"