Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Thankful Thanksgiving

I know it is a cliche, but I am truly thankful for so many things in my life. Most of the things that I am thankful for are people. Isn't that funny. When I was younger I was probably more thankful for the things I had...like my horses or a car I drove or the top of the line tennis racket I had. Actually I don't even know if I was thankful for those things or if I just expected them. Now I can honestly say that I don't really care about those things and that the things most important to me are people.

Ronnie, Veronica, Hunter and Cole are in Kentucky for Thanksgiving. They are visiting Ronnie's sister and her family. I am very Thankful that it worked out that they could go down there for a couple of days. It is always a lot of laughter when our families are together. Funny stories are told. Games are played. Our kids are all friends as well as cousins.

I am also thankful that I am here at home. Smalls (the dog) and I are just hanging out. Well I am hanging out and he is running circles around the couch and coffee table. Weird dog!

I would love to be in Kentucky with everyone, but I am glad that I get to spend some time alone reflecting. I will get to that in a minute. What I want to share some things about people that I am really thankful for.

Ronnie - of course I am thankful for him. Geesh that is a given. Ronnie is a hard worker, good father, my bestest of best friends, yada, yada, yada...here is something else. I am so proud of the man that he has become...he allows the Lord to use his gifts and talents in such a mighty way. I have the previledge of seeing those things week after week playing worship. Sometimes I am in awe. I can only sit there and watch him. Especially when he is leading worship with the guitar and signing. I can't sing and I can't close my eyes. I can only watch him. Thank you Lord!

Veronica - This little girl isn't so little anymore. She is taller than me. (Insert eye roll) Veronica and I went to a movie the other night with some friends and we ended up talking about personalities. What was Veronica's personality? I see such a leader in her. The good kind of leader...one that can lead, but one that hears other peoples thoughts and concerns. When she really enjoys something, she is also a hard worker. The most awsome thing is that some of the young girls at church look up to her, and I think that she is a good example for them. Thank you Lord!

Hunter - This little boy isn't so little anymore either. He is also taller than me (Insert double eye roll - what is it with these kids and being tall?) Hunter is so much like his dad. Silly, fun, and also has great musical talents. Right now he is using those talents for the Lord and I hope he continues on that path. When I see Hunter play the drums or lead worhsip for the youth group by singing and playing the guitar I want to just jump up and yell, "That boy right there! See him!! Look people! That boy right there is MY son!" I am also thankful for his tender heart. Thank you Lord!

Cole - What a goofy kid. He really makes me laugh. He has a natural ability with numbers. Yes, it can drive me crazy when we are in the check out line and he tells the cashier how much change they owe me before the register tells them, but I am very glad that it comes so natural for him. Maybe he will become the financial person for a church one day. :) He is also a leader in his class at school. If there is an answer to be given you can bet that he will be raising his hand to answer it. His teacher has said that Cole is always there to help other kids with their work or project. Thank you Lord!

Now I have saved English for last. Usually I go in age order, but as I said before I am glad that I am home today spending some time alone. Here is why:

As I wrote in my last post, English is deploying on Saturday for Kuwait. She leaves California at 2:00 am and heads for Norfolk, VA for a couple of days and then on to Kuwait. I am glad that I am home alone and can sit and think about her without interuption. I want to reflect on my daughter without having to drive somewhere, make food for someone, go to work, or any other daily activity I usually have to do. Very very selfish of me (i know), but it is what I want to do. So there!

English - my daughter is another leader in our family. As a matter of fact she just received an award yesterday for her leadership and work ethics. She was chosen out of how ever many Airmen on her base in CA to be Airmen of the Week. I don't know who all was at the award ceremony, but they were higher ups. Commanders (or something like that), Sargents, Supervisors, etc. They all came to show their respect for the type of military person she is. They also said some great things about the group she works with. How awsome...they actually were telling them good job and thank you. English is a good soldier! English is also a good friend. She is a protector of sorts. She looks after her friends and makes sure that they are taken care of. I am very proud of the woman that she has become. Thank you Lord!

I am also thankful for my mom, who is going to drive to Virginia Saturday to see English before she leaves the states. I am thankful for Ronnie's mom, Jan, and his Uncle John...they spent the afternoon with English last Saturday. I really don't know if those three people know what it means to me that English was with family before she left. It may sound corney, but my heart is over flowing with love for these three people. They are making this time for me a little easier. I was so sad that there wasn't going to be a "send-off" for English before she left. I couldn't get to her, but two Grandmas and an Uncle came to the rescue. This may seem like something so little to some people, but to me...I owe them a lot for what they have done. Thank you Lord!!

I am also thankful for my two besties, Jennifer and Heidi. They won't let me be alone on Thanksgiving Day. ;) They love me and I love them! Thank you Lord!

I am thankful for my friend, Wendi, who lives in Florida. I love you Wendicles, Wendi Kit-no-heiny-steiney, Wendinator..and I miss you. You are doing a great job and I think that together we can say...Thank you Lord!

I am thankful for the people that walk through my life on a daily basis. It could just be a simple "hi", working together all day, a meaningful conversation, serving dinner together at the Dorthy Day House, or any other connection. I am thankful for each and every one of you. You have some sort of impact on my life each and every day. Thank you Lord!

I am also thankful that the Lord sent His one and only son to die for us on the cross. So that whoever believes in Him won't perish...we will have ETERNAL LIFE. Thank you Lord!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

1 comment:

the j-crew said...

I do love you and am thankful EVERY DAY for you in my life. You are truly a gift from God that He saved for me for this time in my life. A time only He knew I would need someone like you and H in my life.